The Spiritual Need in Japan
- Less than 1% of Japanese profess Evangelical Christianity, categorizing them as an unreached people group
- There is one church for every 16,000 people in Japan; in Nagoya there is one church for every 26,000 people
- Cultural pressures led to over 33,000 suicides in 2007 and continue to increase depression rates
The Nagoya Team
“Equipping Japanese to Reach the World.”
History of the Nagoya Team
The Nagoya team was started in 1987 when the Japan Presbyterian Church helped lead the Nagoya team to its present location in an urban area on the east side of Nagoya. Two church plants were started within a few years under the leadership of MTW missionary, Bruce Young. In 1995, MTW missionary Wayne Newsome became the team leader, and since that time two more church plants and an international school have been started.
In May 2008 the Nagoya team divided into two separate teams. The teams now are divided in the the Church-Planting team, led by Wayne Newsome, and the Theological Education team, led by Michael Oh.
Overview of Current Ministries in Nagoya
- Two church plants with team involvement in five area churches (Four of the five churches are led by nationals)
- Various evangelistic ministries including small group Bible studies, English classes, Mom and Kid’s club, cooking classes and ministry to college students
- Short-term mission trips
- International Christian Academy of Nagoya (ICAN) – Currently there are 130 kids from preschool to 10th grade who are mostly Japanese. The school is expanding to offer 9th grade in 2008-2009.
- Three area choir groups of 70+ people (including 15 or so Christians) led by Tom and Teresa Wilson.
- Seminary for training and equipping national leaders led by the Nagoya Theological Training Team
Current Missionaries on the Nagoya, Japan Church-Planting Team
- Peter and Diane Bakelaar
- Jane Brinkerhoff
- Tim and Chie Burns (JEMS Missionaries)
- Michael and Cathalain Carter
- Jake and Anna Claire Gee (Short Term)
- Alex Gray (Intern)
- Darlene Johnson
- Wayne and Amy Newsome (Currently in America Itinerating)
- Jeremy and Gina Sink
- Tom and Teresa Wilson
- Linda Wixon
Missionaries Currently Itinerating to Join Nagoya, Japan Church-Planting Team
- The Jensen Family (Long Term)